It seems that in today’s cult of work, we all want to work more. Why? And towards what?
What is “work”?
*Werg— it literally means to make.
Therefore, I think the most pragmatic way we should think and approach work is about making. Building, creating.
Therefore if you want to work more, it isn’t answering more emails, or checking more things off your to do list. Rather, work is making.
What do you want to make?
There are lots of things you could attempt to make. For example, you can make blog posts, you can make articles, you can make essays, you can make videos, you can make photos, you can make music, beats, audio, podcasts, video podcasts, make illustrations using Procreate on iPad or iPhone, You can make a lot of stuff.
Therefore to work more is to make more.
Is making more better than curating?
Another funny bias I have discovered is that it looks like a lot of these pseudo woke, superficially conscientious people is all about —
It is all about quality, not quantity. I myself am working on some insanely great thing, yet, I am still in the process of thinking it through.
Something I have observed about the modern day bohemian, artistic, millennial is this:
They are very creative, artistic and ambitious, yet lack courage.
For example, when is the last time you smiled at a stranger millennial, and they made eye contact and smiled back?
Go to the gym
I don’t know about you, but I get most of my best creative thoughts when I’m at the gym, working out, getting a quick pump.
Why is this? Some thing which is productive about the gym lifestyle is that when you go to the gym, often you have this massive indoor or outdoor place, with lots of humans, physical activity, and lots of hormones and endorphins in the air. Therefore, a simple thought:
If you want to work more, just bring your iPhone, iPad, or laptop to the gym, and after you get a quick pump, do some work at the gym.
For myself, before the pandemic, I loved going to coffee shops to do creative work. There was something about the environment, the low-key stochastic resonance of all of the background noise and chatter, the activity and flurry of people, the sound of coffee grinding, the smells and aromas in the air, being around other people makes us more productive.
Thus, I have this concept of a space, imagine part powerlifting gym meets coffee shop meets daycare meets creative collaborative space.
Can you imagine a place where you could do some quick powerlifting, a quick one rep max deadlift or squat, rack pull, or at atlas lift, and then enjoy some nice coffee, and do a standing desk with your laptop and do some creative work with the free gigabit speed Internet Wi-Fi? That would be awesome.
I would also have this funny challenge that if you could successfully lift 600 pounds off the floor, you’ll get a free pound of beef ribs or coffee.
Things which need to be created:
- Some sort of all you could eat 100% carnivore meat buffet, in which literally only meat is served.
- Some sort of gym or space which has no stupid cardio equipment, no machines, no treadmills, etc. Only power racks and barbells.
- A co-working space which is part gym, and also part daycare for your kids. For example as a new parent, I like this idea that you could just drop off your kid with you at the gym, and you could get a quick pump, while your kid is close by.
- Also a fun ideas create some sort of gym for kids, not those stupid indoor playgrounds, but the space in which kids could lift heavy weights, and challenge one another to epic feats of strength.
Why do you want to make?
Assuming that to work is to make, the question is; why do you want to make more? Why do you want to make more stuff?
The first thought is that perhaps there’s something in our human DNA in which we love to make and create. That for optimal human thriving, we must make more, attempt more, in order to become more.
Having met a few successful folks in Hollywood and beyond, the interesting thing that I’ve discovered is that what does a producer care for? Not to sit on their laurels, but instead, to keep producing.
The joy of the producer is to produce, to make new things, to make new movies or shows, etc.
And thus, money finances and resources is simply a means to keep producing more grandiose shows films etc. To fulfill their artistic and creative vision, not to just augment their fame or their money, etc.
So where do I put my stuff?
I think this is the more interesting philosophical question; what is the significance of the things you make?
For example, do you want 1 billion views? A billion dollars? 1 billion followers? If so, then what?
A simple intervention I have is this:
300 die-hard followers is enough.
What is the best way to accumulate followers? Your own blog, or your own email newsletter.
- The best email newsletter to start is via sendy.co
- The best way to start your own blog is by registering your own domain via bluehost.com, and installing wordpress.org
- You can also start a YouTube channel, and just link back to your own website and blog
So let us assume that you already have 300 diehard followers. What do you want from them? Do you want to make a bunch of money? This seems to be the goal of a lot of people.
Or, if you just want to turn your passion into a living? Then, if you do so, then what?
I then say that the final goal is to innovate for the sake of advancement. Advancing yourself, advancing ideas, advancing philosophy, advancing entrepreneurship, and advancing the human race.
On EK BLOG
- Investing vs Speculation
- How to floor bench press 4 plates
- Unorthodox life strategies
- Muscle “quality”?
You’re on a new level:
Never run out of inspiration.
BECOME THE ENIGMA.
The tools to conquer:
- Now may be a good opportunity to buy Chainlink
- Still bullish on Bitcoin: It may not be a hedge against fiat currency or inflation, but it is still sexy to me!
- Bearish on Ethereum — it is an insanely great innovation, but it still seems lame to me?
- TESLA still a good standard stock investment! Just bought some more for my ROTH IRA
- Better to buy Tesla stock than a (real) Tesla.
Enable your friends
Feeling a bit more enabled? Feel free to forward this to a friend!